I don't normally get political on this blog, but my friend, Thea, recently sent me an article entitled:
Largest Pork Processor to Phase Out Crates
By Marc KaufmanWashington Post Staff WriterFriday, January 26, 2007; A06
Obviously this news relieves the hearts and minds of most people, vegan or not, but there was something in particular about this victory that struck a chord with me.
The "crates" being phased out are "gestation stalls" holding pregnant pigs, specifically. The article states:
"While [the company] defended the use of the crates -- which are so narrow that the animals cannot turn around and some have to lie uncomfortably on their chests-- they said their own research had concluded they could be replaced by group pens without any long-term problems or cost increases."
It was not too long ago that I was pregnant with Autumn. I remember vividly the aches, pains and discomfort, and how difficult it was to sleep. Our doctors and midwives instruct us to not lie down on our bellies and to keep moving throughout the pregnancy. People often assisted me out in public--opened doors, gave up seats, helped push shopping carts, etc. A pregnant woman goes through so much and often needs extra TLC.
I believe a pig is entitled to as much dignity and compassion as anyone--and a pregnant pig is going through similar experiences as a pregnant woman. The pig has aches and pains, is probably uncomfortable, sleeps on its side and wants what's best for her babies.
The article continues to say:
"Smithfield officials denied that pressure from activists or voters had anything to do with their announcement, but they did say the company was responding to concerns voiced by customers such as McDonald's and supermarket chains."
Well, for one thing, who do you think puts the pressures on McDonald's and supermarkets? WE DO!! I hate the fact that they are denying the people had anything to do with the change--hogwash (pun intended!).
I'm glad to hear that they are going to be allowed to roam in a pen--it is an improvement. I'm disgusted (and not surprised) that the corporation defends its prior conditions and that it took this long to determine that it's not going to COST them anymore (there's that ugly bottom line!). I think society on the whole is becoming more aware, and I've seen more pressure put on these corporations resulting in great change. Good job ya'all. Whether you eat meat or not, this isn't a judgment here. All of us can make life better for all beings!
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment