Sunday, November 05, 2006

growing pains

Who would have "thunk" it--teething at 3 months old. Our incredibly mellow baby has ramped up the fussiness, and we think we know why. I guess it was the excessive drooling, rubbing of the nose, rash on the face and incessant chomping on whatever is in her path that tipped us off. We hate to see her wincing in pain. More than surprised, though, I think this new development has made Matt and me a bit melancholy. Nothing reminds you more of the passage of time than the milestones a young baby hits in her first two years.

It's the parenting paradox--you look forward to your child talking and playing and can't wait until you actually get to know the "person" your child is, while at the same time long for your child to remain the sweet, untainted baby that loves to nuzzle up on your chest and rock to sleep. I have to catch myself anticipating the next stage of development and just relish the here and now. It's great practice for life, really. I always knew my true yoginis were my children. I just wonder, sometimes, who's growing pains hurt more?

No comments: