Friday, November 21, 2008

Axis v. Allies

Often times when I'm out with my girls, I'll receive commentary from older, perhaps wiser, women, on life with daughters. I've been warned, mind you, over and over again that whatever choppy waters I'm experiencing with them at this point, I can, or at least should, expect tsunamis in those "tough" years. Sometimes I'll reveal my awareness of the fact that I have two daughters close in age by flippantly noting how I don't have an "ally" since we have no boys.

I was caught off guard the other day when a girl, all of 18, was issuing the same warning. She was speaking in all seriousness from her very recent experience of what she and her sister put her mother through. I shrugged and chuckled because I've heard it all before. What's a mom to do when the current waters are a little rough? I don't want to live in total dread of the 11-17 year old times. So...I thought I'd remind myself of what my two daughters bring in this time.

1. They lllloooovvvveee to help out. We try to indulge their requests, patiently understanding that the loaf of bread we are about to bake will a. take triple the time and b. be half as good. They'll help out, for sure, and oftentimes like to look good doing it :)


2. They llllooooovvvvveeee a good tea party. When the girls heard they were going to Nora's tea party and had to wear PINK for the special occasion, I thought they were going to lose all senses. Willow even thanked me for not enrolling her in school on Wednesdays so she could attend. We woke up, took a bath, put on lotion, got all dolled up, and painted our fingernails. The girls were over the moon.


3. I can detain them for a decent amount of time with a good book. Now, all kids are not the same, and all moments are not the same, but my friends with only boys lament often that it is harder to get them to sit with an activity for a long period of time. They are more active more frequently at this age. My girls, on the other hand, can be entertained with coloring, puzzles and playdoh for long periods of time. Thankfully. How else would I be able to check out 15 books at the library?


4. With Daddy by their side, they'll try just about anything. Ok, I see the foreshadowing...Daddy's girls!


So it probably comes as no surprise that, when Matt and I broached the issue of adopting a third child, his response was..."girl, right?" Help :)!!

No comments: