So upon further reflection, I realize my previous post was not as fair, nor as loving, as I would have liked it to be. While I do not believe that many of the people opposed to gay marriage are hateful, or even acting from hate, I deeply feel that many are. I realize I am no expert on Christianity or any other religion for that matter. I am definitely not out to offend. Just grow.
Now, that being said, the reason I made the points I made are because I believe (and know from personal experience--i.e. me), that many time we rationalize something to the point where we don't recognize the true source of our actions or thoughts. We can remove ourselves from the negative place by turning to religion, morality, rules, etc.etc. Often times these justifications disguise the true hatred, disdain, dislike, whatever, for that which is "other". We can invoke Christ's, or any other religious authority's name, without any real regard for what He or She was teaching, mainly LOVE, loving without judgment, liberty for all, peace, acceptance, tolerance.
I was trying to communicate that this does not HAVE to be a religious issue--and that there are many in the church who are reconciling the issue of human rights and liberties, with biblical sins and "immorality". It's taking the time to see the HUMANITY in all of it. Just as the Christ I know did. He went and hung with the prostitutes and thieves not to judge them, make the laws more severe against them, or to make them feel any worse than they probably already felt (PLEASE note, I am in NO way implying that gays are in any way like prostitutes and thieves). He went to LOVE them, lift them up, communicate their humanness and, therefore, worthiness of unconditional love.
When I reread my post, however, I kept asking myself--where in my life am I harboring judgment and rationalizing it away? How big is the log in my eye? Believe me, I see myself in both sides of the issue. The center is the place to be :)
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I thought H8te was well said, woman and minorities surely have overcome(the battle is not over) even in the face of hatred and fear, now gay people are having the fight of their lives and those of us whom support them need to be heard, unfortunately sometimes that comes with our own negativity but I don't know if that can be helped(unless you are Gandhi or maybe Ellen)....gay people are humans AND Americans and should be allowed to be married.
Good for Trent! I'll have to check out his page...
just to be clear, was not implying all gay people are Americans:)...
Post a Comment