Thursday, November 13, 2008

H8te

So I've been busy keeping up with the status of Proposition 8 out in California. This one really made me sad. Mostly because it does not appear to be a vote FOR anything, rather AGAINST people. It is a clear statement that LOVE is not equal and that there is true HATRED for people who they, mistakenly, deem unlike themselves.

I understand there are religious beliefs that homosexuality is a sin, but hey, what would CHRIST do? Spend millions upon millions to deny people the ability to have their love for one another recognized, or uplift love and send that money to those who really NEED it? I guess it's up to interpretation.

As some of you know, my brother has found himself, surprisingly, in the role of activist. What started as a Facebook page to bring together those wishing to provide support to people in a time of true sadness and suffering, has now gained some attention in various arenas. His Facebook page now has the honor of over 200,000 members in a week's time, and he has been contacted by MTV and interviewed by LATimes on the issue. Here's a link to the LATimes article, out today:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-prop813-2008nov13,0,7324959.story?page=1

I'm really proud of him staying on the message of love, and harnessing that energy to help eliminate SUFFERING--that's what life's all about, isn't it?

As an illustration of just how little our thoughts and judgments matter, and just how significant a life of love and freedom from suffering is, I posted a youtube video. When are people going to see that thou art that? Let's make each life significant. And the way to do this is through LOVE! (ok, now I'm sounding a bit redundant and flaky, but, hey, John Lennon preached it, Ghandi practiced it, I hope to embody it--get that hate out!).

Oh, and before you say that you cannot condone their sin, you might want to remove that tree trunk from your own eye! Are you therefore not worthy of a loving relationship and equality under the law since you are a SINNER? Love is love is love everybody.

Edited to add: For anyone wishing to see a Reverend embracing love and supporting marriage for all, please feel free to check out this video of Reverend Ed Bacon, head of the thriving All Saints Church in Pasadena. A man doing truly magnificent work from a place of love. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_W-YEFPTAA

No comments: