I just love the way my kids speak. I rarely correct them, relishing in all the little nuances, word choices, mispronunciations. When my girls express themselves from that pure little space in their hearts, it fills my own heart to its capacity.
Willow has always had a remarkable understanding of language and a large vocabulary. She tosses out words like "prosthetic" and "ironic" in conversation. Coming from this little four and a half year old, it's a real treat to see what words have stuck. I hear myself in her speech as well--"seriously?" "cool!" "I need space!" I only wish I had the ability to record all of the insane observations or curious inquiries.
Autumn is still in a new-speaker phase. It's less about word choice as it is word pronunciation. She avoids "s" and turns it into "h" ("hit here mommy"), "c" is "t" ("tat") and you can forget about "th" "sh" or "ch"! Nevertheless, we seem to know what she's saying and have even adopted some of her funny ways of saying things in our own everyday speech. Some examples are:
"Wa Wa"--Willow
"Jie Jies"--Sunglasses
"Bee"--any kind of dip--hummus, ketchup...
"Doeway Ebubie"--Go Away Everybody (we're hearing this quite often lately!)
"Mommy dake me day"--Mommy put me down to bed tonight.
"Hoo Haas and Neigh Neighs"--monkeys and horses
Edited to Add: I can't believe I missed one of our favorites--"Ho Tay" is the new OK around here!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment