Sunday, March 16, 2008

Parent and Me

Once a week Autumn and I go to "Parent and Me" class while Willow is in school. Willow and I went when she was around the same age. The differences between Autumn and Willow always amaze me. They are definitely two distinct people, and their learning style is no exception. Making sure I honor and nurture the differences is difficult, but a very fun challenge.

Willow is a classic observer. She takes a LONG time to feel comfortable enough to venture off my lap in a group setting. She's not usually crying and clinging, just sitting and observing. Autumn, on the other hand, takes little time to warm up. She doesn't just jump right in like some kids, but she breaks out on her own much faster than Willow, and has less anxiety in a group setting. She definitely knows what she wants. I think both girls are equally curious, just different personalities.

Matt came with us one day. Here they are starting class off with the hello song.

The class is designed to expose the kids to different motor skills, senses, songs and peers. It's really fun and I absolutely love to see Autumn learn new things and display preferences/adversions. For instance, she LOVES jumping on the trampoline and throwing the ball. Kicking the ball, however, not so much!

At the end of the class Ms. Martha lets them choose a sticker.

A proud display!

No comments: