Sometimes I end the day feeling like I've spent a lot of time getting on Willow's case--not that it is without reason most of the time. In fact the majority of things I ride her about have to do with keeping her safe (a small minority is just annoying behavior!). She's a typical 3 year old kid, but nobody tells you the threes are actually harder than the twos! I've made a pact with myself and with Willow, unbeknownst to her, that I would try to give her more space to explore, create, mess up, assert her independence and to just be a kid.
It's been a challenge in some areas and very simple in others. Luckily I'm not a mother who is overly concerned with her daughter's looks--the whole "independence" concept may otherwise be out the window since getting dressed in the morning is one area in which she asserts herself! Her daily attire often consists of pants under skirts, mismatched socks, pants from when she was a 1 year old that now fit like shorts, etc.!
When it comes to personal safety, mother bird is still not able to push her babe out of the nest, just to watch her fall to the ground. Most of you who know her know she is exceptionally verbal and not-so-blessed with the large motor skills!
In fact, the one time Matt and I agreed to not hover over her as she climbed at the playground, she fell and chipped her front tooth! I know, there's a whole chicken and the egg argument here, but that's to be deconstructed another time.
In letting go of some of my parenting controls, however, I have gained new insight into her newly-formed daily rhythms, her imaginative mind, her meltdown triggers, her wishes and hopes and her fears. It's been nice getting reacquainted with her rather than policing her nonstop. I'd love to share a few Willowisms as of late:
--Last night Aunt Sara babysat for us (we went to rock out at the Wilco concert). In addition to a few books, we tell Willow a story as part of her bedtime routine. Sara told Willow a story about a green ogre who befriended a donkey and went looking for a princess and there was a wardrobe that led to a magical place with fairies and witches and a lion! (Shrek the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe!). When Sara was finished, Willow rolled over in her bed and said "wow, that was a really great story!" before she drifted off to sleep.
--We checked out a book at the library where the character makes a dreidel and celebrates Hanukkah. Now when Matt is leaving, Willow says "Goodbye Daddy, be safe...Happy Hanukkah!"
--She still has a funny way of saying some words--"bencuter" is computer, "vestibul" is festival, "fruit feather" is a fruit leather. And she is now making up her own spanish words. She told us "her" spanish word for "artwork" tonight, but I don't even think I could type it out phonetically! She loves words, both english and spanish, and due to her curiosity for all things potty, she asked Matt what the spanish words for "pooping in the potty" were. Much to my surprise, Matt acually knew!
--Willow knows mommy and daddy eat vegan and she knows what this means. Lately, at her play picnics, she has been pointing out to me which of her pretend fruits and vegetables may have cow in them! It usually goes something like "and here is a piece of chocolae cake for you mommy, but be careful...the cherry on top may have some cow in it!" Sometimes, she'll try to look for any signs of shock or dismay on my face as she says that she just might eat it, even the part with cow (we're doomed to have our kids rebel by eating McDonald's, aren't we :) ).
So that's what being a kid is all about--or at least from what I remember. I have fond memories of my own childhood and hope Willow will too.
Saturday, June 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment