Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Contentment

After class today, one of my students asked me how I cultivate "contentment." Hmmm...hard question, but timely...very timely.

Currently our house is on the market. For one reason or another, any interested buyer is quickly swept away--did not get approved of for loan, just ultimately decided they couldn't live with the size of the master bedroom closet, haven't sold their house...whatever the reason, we are unable to lighten our load and expand our options by selling the house.

I also haven't been able to navigate the economy to find full-time work. I get that, in this economy, we all resort back to the root needs--security, shelter food, etc. I've taken "meaningful" down a few notches in the goal of my job hunt. The economy's tough no matter how you slice it. Especially the economy in the area of the country we have our sights on.

So, how does one not wallow in the frustrations of being "stuck?"--she turns the experience on its head. Often times in my class, I have the students enter a pose called Viparita Karani--or "legs up the wall pose." When in this position, I explain how we are essentially placing the body on its head--reversing the flow, draining the lymph, giving the body a break from having to fight gravity. While in this position, I ask them to think of a firmly held belief, perception or self-assessment and to "turn it on its head." Then...observe.

Practicing this in my own life, helps me stay aware of the abundance in my life. ALL the wonderful things that give me every reason in the world to be the most content being.

What better time than now to turn my "stuck in Indiana" mantra on its head with an abbreviated list of what I love about living in the Hoosier State:

1. I get the amazing opportunity and blessing to teach yoga in beautiful places. In some parts of the country, yoga teachers are a dime a dozen. Here, I have the available space and support to show up and practice with the most wonderful people five times a week. That, in and of itself, is all the reason I need to be content.

2. My children get more time to be close to family. They are so close with their extended family. Adding more time together to my kids' lives can only be a net positive. Especially with my grandparents, both of whom are still alive. Days are gifts for them, and I feel the joy of the visit stay with me the whole day.

3. Amazing Amazing Amazing friends. Recently for Matt's bday, I invited a bunch of friends to join us for mexican. Although some friends couldn't make it, we had a party of 18. As I looked down each side of the table, I felt an overwhelming sense of love and wonder toward each person sitting there, celebrating with us. Worth a view of the mountains any day!

4. Spring and Fall--winters not so much, and summers would be my favorite if it weren't for the mosquitos that bite 24 hours a day.

So many more, but I'll save them for a time when I need a little extra boost of love for Indy. Let the living unfold :)

No comments: