Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring is Sprouting

In my quest to eat more *live* foods, I decided to embark on some sprouting. I'm starting with broccoli sprouts. It's really not much trouble--just soak overnight, rinse twice a day, store in a dark environment, and wait. Hopefully soon, we can add enjoy to that list!

Just like many things, I view this activity as a metaphor. Each morning and evening, when I rinse the seeds, I reflect on what seeds I am planting, how I'm tending to my life, and what seeds are beginning to sprout, no matter how long ago they were planted.

Sometimes the "watch" part is the most trying. I'm feeling this with regard to our house. We have done just about everything we can to prepare the house, we now have no control over the process. It's time to let go and see if a buyer connects with the house.

I recognize the sprouting of old seeds all the time too. For instance, a few years ago, we took a camping trip with friends to Big Sur (I believe it's one of my very first posts!). We ventured down to the beach where it was windy and chilly. On the beach was a tide pool and the water was freezing. My friend Alice's children wanted to go for a swim (being the little fish that they are!). So...despite the cool temps, no towels, no swimsuits, and no "plan", she let them dive right in! I remember thinking of all the logical reasons why this wasn't going to work, but was won over by her openness to the moment. She didn't see hassle, dirt, potential for illness--she saw an occasion where her kids shared a moment in a beautiful setting, splashing in seawater, doing what they love.

Today, I sensed more sprouting of that seed when Autumn was delighting in splashing in a puddle formed on a table at the park. I had to stop the tape running in my head--she's going to get dirty, she's going to get wet, the water is probably filthy and attracting bugs...and just be in the moment. She was giggling, feeling the water run through her fingers, filling the puddle with flower petals from the ground. Fun stuff.

As I'm soon to turn 35, I'm focusing on planting new seeds. Seeds of health--body mind and spirit. I'll fill you in as the gardening takes place :)

No comments: